About Our Caregivers
About Our Caregivers in Hinsdale IL
and the Chicago Suburbs
The success of Independence-4-Seniors is directly related to the in-home caregivers we hire as employees. We look for people who exhibit a passion for caring for seniors and those in need and who view their assignments as more than just a job.
While our caregivers in Cook and DuPage counties and the Chicago suburbs come from a wide variety of backgrounds and nationalities, they all must be compassionate individuals with substantial caregiving experience. Many of our caregivers are also CNAs (Certified Nursing Assistants).
Since good communication is essential for a good client experience, all caregivers must be able to demonstrate the ability to speak, read and write the English language.
All of our caregivers are bonded and insured in the state of Illinois (both Workers Compensation and Liability), and are our employees, not subcontractors.
Caregiver Screening Process
Each caregiver must submit to our hiring process that requires the following:
- A comprehensive, in-person interview at our office
- Fill out application for employment
- Verification of previous employment
- Authorize reference checks
- Authorize a fingerprint criminal background check (Illinois Department of Public Health)
- Provide valid state ID or drivers license
- Provide proof of motor vehicle insurance
- Social Security number verification
- Provide proof of legal status to work in the United States
Caregiver Training and Orientation
As part of the licensing requirements of the State of Illinois Department of Public Health, Independence-4-Seniors must deliver at least 8 hours of continuing education each year to each caregiver. Caregivers must also pass tests to demonstrate competency. Specific training topics include:
- Caregiver Wellness
- Caring for Someone with Mid to Late Stage Alzheimer's Disease
- Communication Skills
- Companion Homemaker: Roles and Responsibilities
- Developing Cultural Competence
- Elder Abuse and Neglect
- Essential Bedrest Skills
- Fall Prevention
- Fire Safety
- HIPAA in Homecare
- How to Communicate Effectively With Someone Who Has Hearing Loss
- How to Communicate with Someone Who Has Alzheimer's Disease
- How to Communicate With Someone Who Has Aphasia
- How to Help Someone Who Uses a Wheelchair, including Walkers, Crutches and Canes
- How To Manage Medications
- How to Measure Vital Signs
- How to Use a Mechanical Lift
- Infection Control and Bloodborne Pathogens
- Nutrition and Meal Preparation for Older Adults
- Personal Care
- Safety and Housekeeping
Caregiver Evaluation Process
All caregivers are supervised by the Agency Manager who is a Registered Nurse. She ensures that the caregiver understands the individual Plan of Care for each client. She makes supervisory visits to update the Plan of Care and evaluate quality of care provided. Caregivers are evaluated on an ongoing basis and receive annual performance evaluations by the Agency Manager.
Independence-4-Seniors provides home care services with fully employed caregivers in the Chicago area; including Cook, DuPage, Will and Kane Counties in the State of Illinois. Contact us at (630) 323-4665 today if you have questions or would like to schedule a complimentary assessment of your home care needs.